Wisconsin Concrete Park
|Other Link||Wisconsin Concrete Park Website|
- Picnic Tables
Open 24/7. Best seen during daylight hours. Self-taught artist Fred Smith built his statues on wooden frames wrapped with mink wire. He covered them with hand-mixed cement and decorated them with a variety of broken glass and found objects. He often accepted tourists’ donations of glass objects for his creations. Smith’s characters came from local legend and personal acquaintances as well as legendary heroes. Some of his most widely recognized statues include Ben Hur, the Lincolns, Sacajawea, and Paul Bunyan.
In 1948, at age 63, Price County native Fred Smith began construction of what is known today as Wisconsin Concrete Park. Smith, a lumberjack, tavern owner, farmer, and dance hall musician, created over 200 figures depicting his vision of the local culture and the world. His work is considered one of America's most unique displays of folk art.
Shortly after Fred Smith’s death in 1976, the Wisconsin Concrete Park was purchased by the Kohler Foundation and later gifted to Price County. The park is maintained and promoted by the Price County Forestry & Parks and Tourism departments with assistance from the Friends of Fred Smith, Inc., with restorative efforts continuing on a regular basis. Donations are welcome and greatly appreciated. The Park is one of Seven Man-Made Wonders of Northwest Wisconsin.
- Enclosed educational / programming building with bathrooms, electricity and heat (to reserve call 715-339-7282 - fee required)
- Flush toilet building (plus drinking fountain and faucet), mid-April through mid- to late-Oct., weather permitting
- Hiking / nature trail
- Historic Smith home - the Countryside Artists Gifts and Gallery located in the home and is open seasonally (call first 715-339-6475)
- Information area
- Picnic area and tables
- Pressure water faucet and drinking fountain on the north side of the house - mid-April through mid- to late-October, weather permitting
- Surfaced road and parking area for auto, RV and tour bus
- Pet requirements: must be under control or on a leash at all times - not allowed in buildings